HMRC Forms

HMRC like forms, and like having a lot of them. We advise that you allow us to manage this administration for you, which we mostly do online now using our agent ‘HMRC Online Services’, however please see here if you would prefer to manage this process yourself. Please see below various links to some of the common forms with their online counterpart options if applicable.

64-8 (Authorising your agent)

Form 64-8 authorises an accountant, tax agent or adviser to communicate with HMRC on your behalf. The form covers authorisation for individual tax affairs (partnerships, trusts, tax credits and individuals under PAYE) and business taxes (VAT, PAYE for employers and Corporation Tax). If you’re a personal representative you can use form 64-8 in certain circumstances to ask us to deal directly with an HMRC.

FBI 2 (Authorising your agent to use PAYE/CIS online services)

The form FBI 2 is used to authorise us to use PAYE / CIS online services. This allows us to receive information over the internet from HMRC on your behalf.

CT600 V2 (Company Tax Return)

Use form CT600 (2008) Version 2 for any accounting periods ending on or after 1 April 2008. Companies with less straightforward tax affairs should use this form. Please refer to CT600 Guide (2008) for help and a full list of companies that should use this form. You may need to submit this online – please check here

P46 (Car provided for the private use of an employee or director)

Use form P46 (Car) if you’re an employer and you start to provide or withdraw a car that’s available for private use to a director or to an employee earning at or above £8,500. You may submit replacement car information, but this must be submitted online.

SC2 (Statutory Sick Pay, form for employees)

If you are an employee, use form SC2 if you have been sick for four or more consecutive days and you wish to receive Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from your employer.

SSP1 (Statutory Sick Pay and Incapacity Benefit, form for employers)

Form for employers based in England, Scotland and Wales to complete when an employee is not entitled to SSP. This version of the form can be completed online and then printed.

SSP2 (Statutory Sick Pay Record)

If you’re an employer, you can use form SSP2 to record details of an employee’s sickness absences. You don’t have to use this form, but it will help you keep accurate records which will ensure that you pay the correct amount of SSP.

R40 (Claim for repayment of tax deducted from savings and investments)

Use form R40 to claim back tax if you think you’ve paid too much on your savings interest and send the completed form to your Tax Office.

CA5403 (Your national insurance number)

How to get written confirmation of your National Insurance number if you can’t find it. You can complete the form on screen, print it, and post it to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

CA5601 (Application to pay Class 2 contributions by Direct Debit)

Use form CA5601 if you’re self-employed and want to arrange to pay your Class 2 National Insurance contributions by Direct Debit. You can fill in this form on screen and print it out and send it to HMRC. When printing the form please make sure you print a copy of Page 2 for your own records because it contains the Direct Debit Guarantee.

CF10 (Application for exemption from liability for Class 2 contributions)

If you are self-employed and your net earnings from self-employment are below the relevant threshold you can apply for exception from Class 2 National Insurance contributions (NICs) using the HMRC email service. It’s
quick and easy, just follow the link here

SA1 (Registering for self assessment and getting a tax return)

Registering for Self-Assessment and getting a tax return. Follow the link to tell HMRC that you need a tax return. You’ll be asked for all the information that HMRC needs to set your tax records up. If you’re in business please see the ‘related forms’ section below instead.

SA100 (Tax Return)

The main tax return for individuals. Use this form to file your tax return for income and capital gains, student loan repayments, interest, pensions, annuities, charitable giving and to claim tax reliefs and allowances. You may need to include supplementary pages for certain types of income. You can send this tax return online, instead of downloading the form. Follow the link here to learn about the advantages and how to sign up.

SA370 (Appeal against penalties for late filing and late payment)

Use this form to appeal against individual penalties under Self Assessment.

VAT1 (Application for VAT registration)

Use form VAT 1 to register for VAT. You can use VAT 1 if you are starting a new business, registering your existing business or acquiring an existing business. For all standard registration applications, please send your completed form to: VAT Registration Service, Crown House, Birch Street, Wolverhampton, WV1 4JX. You can register online here.

VAT7 (Application to cancel you VAT registration)

If you want to cancel your VAT registration, use form VAT 7. Before you start, please read HMRC guide ‘Cancelling your VAT registration’ to help you decide whether or not you need to cancel your registration.