Are your Digital and Social Media Marketing Efforts in Vain?
Digital marketing can be a tough nut to crack. After all, almost every online business uses digital marketing to some extent. But how many of them actually succeed in that?
I don’t think I need to give you an answer. You already know.
There are many reasons why a business’s digital marketing plan fails, and I’ll get into that later in this article. But for now, let’s discuss some of the more basic issues. Let’s start from scratch.
Do your Digital Marketing Efforts have a Return?
First of all, it is important to determine whether your digital marketing efforts are worth it, because if you are not getting enough return on your investment, there is no point whatsoever. Right?
So let’s make things clear. Your online business might be having a tough time with digital marketing and social media marketing, but it doesn’t mean that you should stop spending your time, efforts and resources on it.
Building a strong online presence can be tough in such a highly competitive world. It often takes time and a whole lot of dedication, skills and commitment; but in the end, especially if you do it the right way – which we are going to discuss soon – it all pays.
Top Reasons why your Digital Marketing Strategy is Failing
It seems like a very bold claim, but if you are still with me, reading this article, you know that there is something fundamentally wrong with your digital marketing strategy, otherwise, you wouldn’t be reading it in the first place.
So before we go into the nitty gritty details, let’s analyse some of the top reasons why most of the digital marketing strategies fall flat on their faces. If you, too, are struggling with your digital marketing and social media marketing efforts, you might find one or more reasons for your failure here.
1. Weak Substance
None of your social media marketing or content marketing efforts will have any sort of an impact if the substance is weak.
You have more competitors than you think; and in the online business world, you can’t have great results with mediocre content, social media efforts, or email marketing campaigns.
An effective digital marketing plan requires a lot of meaty and high-quality substance.
2. No Frequency
Another reason why many digital marketing plans fail is that they don’t have any fixed frequency.
It is important to realise that you are marketing to real people – and it really doesn’t matter if it’s online. Your customers are real, they have feelings and emotions, and they want to connect with your business. But most importantly, they want to feel that they can rely on it.
If you have a business blog where you publish one high-quality post per week, your readers know what to expect from you.
On the other hand, if your competitor’s business blog publishes four posts in one week and then doesn’t get active for the next three months, their customers won’t rely on such an online presence.
All in all, frequency is really important in the digital marketing world; and most of the businesses that fail to capitalise on their digital marketing efforts usually don’t deem frequency an important factor.
3. Lack of Resources and/or Skills
One of the major reasons why digital marketing strategies fail is because most online businesses don’t have sufficient resources and skills related to it.
There is a huge digital marketing skills gap in the industry, and this often becomes a big problem in implementing digital marketing plans.
The following chart will give you a brief glimpse into this very important problem.
If your online business doesn’t have sufficient resources, talent and skills in the digital marketing niche, it may become one of the major reasons why your marketing strategy doesn’t work.
4. Failing to Monitor your Digital Marketing Progress
Failing to monitor your digital marketing progress – with analytics tools and software – is another reason why it isn’t working for you.
The Online Marketing Institute did a research and interviewed 747 marketing executives about the digital marketing skills they deem as most important. 76% of those surveyed agreed that analytical skills are most important in the digital marketing world.
It is there for a reason. Tracking every inch of your progress is crucial. Moreover, a person with good analytical skills can easily determine important trends and signals and use them to improve your digital marketing plan.
5. No Correlation with Overall Business Goals
This is kind of a big one.
As a matter of fact, in my opinion, it is the biggest reason why most businesses fail when it comes to digital marketing, and why they fail to experience a good return on their investment.
- Building a strong online presence can be tough. It takes time and dedication, but it will pay off in the end
- Your digital marketing strategy might be failing because of weak content or inconsistencies in the frequency of your posts
- It is also crucial to monitor the progress of your digital marketing strategy with the proper analytical tools and software
- Your digital marketing strategy must support your overall business goals
- Most business goals fall into three categories: to increase the customer base, improve purchase frequency or to increase the average order value
- Once you identify these business goals, all your digital marketing efforts should be in pursuit of these objectives
- You will have to evaluate the resources, talent and skills you have in the digital marketing department
- You will also need to take into account your business’s KPIs and other digital metrics and analytics that will help you understand and expand your business online
- None of your digital marketing and social media marketing efforts will ever be wasted if you have the right attitude and mind-set
- Digital marketing is the best way to move forward for your business in an increasingly online world
Apr 14, 2015